Our program meetings are held the last Thursday of each month, except December. Time is 6:30pm. Location is Lakeshore Bait and Marina on 1661 Lakeshore Drive, across the parking lot from Blue Crab Restaurant. Click here for Google Maps location.
These meetings are open to the public. The programs can cover a wide range of topics, either fly fishing or of general interest to all anglers.
Fly Tying Sessions
- On months with 4 Thursdays, sessions are held the 2nd and 3rd Thursdays.
- On months with 5 Thursdays, sessions are held the 3rd and 4th Thursdays.
Location is St. Frances Xavier Church Hall on 444 Metairie Road. Time is 7:00pm.
A club member or guest tier leads in the instruction of one or two fly patterns. Attendees can watch or tie along. If you have tools, bring them. If not, then the club has sets of tools for attendees to use during these sessions only. Materials are provided. Beginners are always welcome.
For holidays or other conflicts, we may reschedule to a different night. Please check our Calendar and Home pages for exact dates and locations.
Our signature event is the annual "Rio Grande Fly Fishing Rodeo" held in early October. Click on the Rio Rodeo page for details.
On occasion, we conduct club fishing trips, rod building workshops, or other special activities. We also hold an annual Awards Banquet in December.
Monthly program meetings, fly tying sessions and our Rio Grande Rodeo are open to the public. Unless otherwise noted, all other club activities, such as trips, are for paid members only.
See the membership page for details
Fly Fishers International (FFI)
The FFI is the world's largest organization dedicated to our sport. It's mission is conserving, restoring and educating thru fly fishing. Membership includes discounts on books and videos, as well as subscription to the award winning FlyFisher magazine. Dues go towards conservation projects and support of affiliated programs such as Reel Recovery and Casting for Recovery. For more details, go to www.fedflyfishers.org.
The FFI is divided into regional councils. Louisiana IFFF clubs and members are by default also members of the Gulf Coast Council, which sponsors a couple of events each year, and is involved in regional conservation projects. For more details, go to www.gulfcoastfff.org.
The New Orleans Fly Fishers is an affiliated club in the FFI, and a member of the FFI Gulf Coast Council. While membership in the FFI is not required for club members, we highly encourage our members to join this wonderful organization.
There are several other fly fishing clubs within a 4-hour distance of New Orleans, some of which annually hold activities for which NOFF members are encouraged to participate.
- Red Stick Fly Fishers of Baton Rouge. RSFF hosts their annual "Red Stick Day" in March. Also their "Catch-N-Eat" marsh fishing trips in spring and fall, for which NOFF members are welcome.
- Pontchartrain Basin Fly Fishers. PBFF represents fly fishing interests in the Northshore area. Check out their website at www.pbasinflyfishers.blogspot.com.
- Mississippi Coast Fly Fishers of Gulfport. MCFF is heavily involved in Project Healing Waters. Check out their website at www.gcflyfishers.org.
- Acadiana Fly Rodders of Lafayette. They host the annual "Acadiana Conclave" in early spring.
- Magnolia Fly Fishers of Jackson. Check out their website at www.magnoliaflyfishers.com.
- Contraband Fly Casters of Lake Charles. They host the annual "Contraband Conclave" each August. Check out their website at www.contrabandflycasters.net
- Kisatchie Fly Fishers of Alexandria. They host the biennial "Cenla Fly Fishing and Light Tackle Festival" in January of even years. Check out their website at www.kisatchiefly.org.
For NOFF members who like to fish from paddlecraft - we call ourselves puddlers - the Bayou Coast Kayak Fishing Club (BCKFC) frequently holds events open to the public. They also hold two of the largest kayak fishing tournaments in the country - Paddlepalooza in the spring and Fall-N-Tide in the fall, with proceeds going to charitable causes.
Again, please check our Calendar page often as many exciting things are always happening!