On February 27th we will have our general membership meeting at 7:00pm at the Crab Trap Room across the parking lot from the Blue Crab Restaurant. Our guest speaker will be Mr. Randy Richter. Randy will deliver a presentation on fly fishing in the Amazon. Randy has made many trips to South America to chase various species in the Amazon River, including the notoriously tough peacock bass. He will outline travel arrangements, equipment, flies, etc. that are necessary to make a trip to the Amazon successful. We will also raffle off a 7-weight TFO fly rod at the meeting. Tickets will be $10 apiece or 3 for $20. Hope to see you all there!
Tuesday, February 18, 2020
Thursday, January 23, 2020
The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) has announced dates for public meetings to be held on spotted seatrout (speckled trout) management. The most recent stock assessment indicated spotted seatrout are overfished and undergoing overfishing and changes are necessary in order to recover the stock.
The slide to the left was part of the presentation given by LDWF biologists at the January meeting of the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission. It shows that speckled trout spawning stocks have been on the decline since 2010, and below both the conservation target (yellow line) of 14 percent since 2012, and the recruitment threshold (magenta line) of 10.2 percent since 2013. It also shows what various savings in the spawning biomass or potential ratio (both had similiar graphs) would result in. CLICK on the images to enlarge.
Management change options recently presented to the LWFC in early January 2020 included:
- creel limit only changes
- minimum size limit changes only
- combined creel and minimum size limit changes
- slot limit only changes
- combined slot limit and creel changes.
Below is a list of meeting dates and locations. All meetings will begin at 6:00 p.m., except the meeting in Ruston, which will begin at 1:00 p.m.
- Monday, February 10 – North Branch Library, 4130 West Park Ave, Gray
- Wednesday, February 12 – LDWF HQ, Herring Room, 2000 Quail Drive, Baton Rouge
- Thursday, February 13 – Lafayette Council Chambers, 705 West University Avenue, Lafayette
- Wednesday, February 19 – East Bank Regional Library, 4747 West Napoleon Avenue, Metairie
- Thursday, February 20 – Slidell Municipal Auditorium, 2056 Second Street, Slidell
- Wednesday, February 26 – Calcasieu Parish Extension Office, 7101 Gulf Highway, Lake Charles
- Thursday, February 27 – Rapides Parish Extension Office, 300 Grady Britt Drive, Alexandria
- Saturday, February 29 – Lincoln Parish Library, 910 North Trenton Street, Ruston
LDWF is partnering with Louisiana Sea Grant to use interactive voting technology at these public hearings in response to a survey that will be given at the meetings. LDWF will also be sending out an email survey identical to the survey that will be administered at public meetings.
For more information, please contact Jason Adriance at 504-284-2032 or email@example.com.
Posted by Catch Cormier at 11:32 AM