We look forward to the beginning of the NOFFC Inaugural Big Year Fly Contest, and will keep you posted on any updates of changes.
Saturday, January 27, 2018
Thursday, January 25, 2018
On January 27th, the Orvis Baton Rouge will be having a Travel Day and Skiff Show from 10:30am to 5:00pm.
From Orvis Baton Rouge's website:
Join us for our Orvis Endorsed Travel Day and Poling Skiff Show. We will have Guides, Outfitters, and Lodges from all over , in store, giving 30 minute presentations about who they are, where they fish, times to visit, and species that they pursue. Each Representative will be available before and after their presentation to talk to you individually and answer all questions that you have about their location. It’s a great opportunity to meet great Fly Fishers from all over the world, right here in Baton Rouge.
10:30-El Pescador Lodge (Belize)
11:00-Wollaston Lake Lodge (Saskatchewan)
11:30-Healing Waters Lodge (Twin Bridges Montana)
12:00-The Lodge at Eagle rock (Cascade Montana)
12:30-Skeena salmon Lodge (Terrace British Columbia)
Featured Fly Tyers will be here all day. You want to come and see these guys tie there proven patterns and meet the minds behind the Flies.
-Nick Vlahos (Sandbar Flies)
-Captain Lucas Bissett (Low Tide Charters)
-Captain Bailey Short (Southern Flats)
Lunch will be donated by The Cajun Spoon
Poling Skiff Show
Hell’s Bay Boatworks
East Cape Skiffs
-2 Degree Super Shallow Snake Bite
-12 Degree Snake Bite
These are the guaranteed boats, with a few potential surprises that you will have to come and see.
We will also be raffling items throughout the day, so the longer you stay the more chances you get.
Orvis Baton Rouge has been a longtime supporter of the club, and we encourage you to attend this event, and give them your support.
For more information, click on this link: Orvis Baton Rouge
Sunday, January 14, 2018
As previously announced, the New Orleans Fly Fishers Club will be hosting the inaugural Big Year Fishing Contest!
Here are the revised guidelines for the NOFFC’s The Big Year Fishing Contest:
- This is an opportunity to for NOFFC members to show how many different species (varieties) of fish they can catch during the duration of the contest.
- This contest will be on the honor system.
- This is not a “big” fish or “most” fish contest. It is for variety of fish.
- All fish must be caught on flies and fly fishing equipment.
- This will be a CPR (Catch/Photo Release) contest. No dead fish allowed. A photo should be taken as quickly as possible and the fish should be immediately released. The photo must be taken at the site the fish was caught. (No ice chest, driveway or cleaning table fish allowed).
- All fish must be caught within the FFI’s Gulf Coast Council region. (Louisiana/Mississippi/Alabama/Florida Panhandle).
- To enter a fish you must photograph the fish and include the fish, fly it was caught on, and the official contest ID card (This will be supplied by the club in the near future).
- The contest will start on March 1st and end on October 31st.
- We would encourage everyone to keep a log book of dates, fly caught on, species caught, state caught in, nearest city/town, body of water caught in.
- Submit your photos as you catch the fish to the club email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the event of a tie, we will use the earliest entry as the tie breaker.
- We will be announcing the prize donations as soon as we have all of them confirmed.
This will be a lot of fun and a great opportunity for the club and its members to promote our sport. We will have more information coming soon.